[rsc] Fwd: Facilitation as a way to bring world peace, one group at a time: A workshop

  • From: "Kathy Mancuso" <kmancuso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rootsexcomm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rootsexcomm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, rsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 13:02:03 -0400

perhaps of interest to Roots?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Elizabeth Leila L'Abate <elizabeth.labate@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, May 24, 2008 at 12:33 PM
Subject: Facilitation as a way to bring world peace, one group at a time: A
workshop

Please forward

Hi Social change activists, Co-housing folks, community-building, peace
meditating,  social justice workers,members of organizations, executives,
managers,

I went to a promo event with Laird Schaub for his facilitation workshops. (
He  also finds time to edit "Communities" magazine. ) What impressed me most
in his presentation was the context he placed it in as a way to bring world
peace through giving folks communication/listening/"understanding without
judgment"/group dynamics skills.  He also teaches how to follow and hold the
energy of a group, one of the most important aspects, but not often taught
in  more academic training.  This is hands-on training, going to different
communities  (yours if you'd like) to help them with their decision-making
process.  It sounds very thorough and deep and life-changing.  Not only do
you acquire new skills, but also  have deep support  to  transform all
aspects of yourself that might get in the way...and you would be able to
teach others afterward as well.....There were many epiphanies in his short
talk, as I'm sure there would be in his training, and having his wife as
well could only make it better...this requires a deep commitment of time and
of money, but it is a commitment to make the world a better place and
yourself a better person, with skills that can translate well into almost
any profession.

Let me know if you are interested.  If you do not live in a community we can
perhaps create one for you for the workshop....and we can carpool....Peace
and blessings,  Elizabeth

 From: <Evdavwes@xxxxxxx>

*Integrative Training in the Art of Facilitating Cooperative Groups* by
Laird Schaub and Ma'ikwe Schaub-Ludwig
beginning the weekend of September 18-21, 2008

Is your community or organization looking for ways to become more dynamic
and productive?  Do you often feel drained by your meetings or find it
difficult to work effectively together?  If so, you may benefit from
participating in the *Integrative Training in the Art of Facilitating
Cooperative Groups.  *

The program consists of eight three-day weekends spread out over a two
years.  Weekend sessions are held at different host locations within the
region.  They combine presentations of the theory and tools of Integrative
Facilitation with demonstrations and hands-on practice.  Integrative
Facilitation is an approach to group dynamics which is built on a solid
understanding of human development, a sensitivity to undercurrents in the
room, and a dose of playfulness and appreciation.

The program begins the weekend of September 18-21, 2008 and ends the weekend
of June 3-6, 2010.  While we are marketing to individuals, communities and
organizations in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Virginia,
Maryland, West Virginia, Eastern Tennessee and Kentucky, this opportunity is
open to anyone.

As an individual you can participate as a trainee or an auditor.  Trainees
commit to attend as many weekends as possible and pay for the full program.
Auditors commit to individual weekends one at a time and pay for each
weekend separately.  Both trainees and auditors will participate fully in
teaching and evaluation sessions.  Trainees will have the opportunity to
facilitate live meetings with the host group, collect a notebook of handouts
on Integrative Facilitation, and receive written evaluations of their skills
from the trainers.

As a community or organization you can send individuals to participate as
trainees or auditors and serve as a weekend host.  Hosts receive
live facilitation for their group for any topic of  their choosing.  While
trainees will facilitate as much as possible, the trainers will always be
available to step in as needed.  In addition to the free facilitation,
valued at $1200-2000, host communities and organizations will receive a
written report of the meeting results and observations about their group's
process and issues and be able to have up to two of their members
participate as auditors in that weekend's training at no cost.  The
commitment for hosts is to provide room & board (25 participants and 2
trainers), meeting space for the training and schedule live meetings for
Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

The cost of the program for trainees is $2400 for the complete program if
paid in advance, $2600 if paid in two $1300 installments or $350 for each
class, paid two weeks in advance.  Auditors pay $250 per class for the first
four, and $275 per class for the last four.

Attached is a full brochure for the program.  Feel free to print this out
and distribute it.  If you would prefer, I would be happy to mail you
printed brochures.  Simply email your request to me at evdavwes@xxxxxxx and
put "Integrative Facilitation" in the subject line.  You can also email or
call me with any questions or comments you may have about the program.  I am
working with Laird and Ma'ikwe to bring this awesome opportunity to our
region.

Here is what others who have participated as trainees or host communities
have to say about the program:

Naomi, Liberty Village

The facilitator-training weekend was a great example of cohousing in action.
We got to play host to a very interesting group of students who greatly
enriched our weekend of meetings by bringing their unique styles of
facilitating and their ability to cut to the heart of issues unencumbered by
the baggage of our own community.

 Kevin, Catoctin Creek Village

Having a "live" group provided a tremendous amount of feedback...watching
others facilitate taught me a lot. When my turn came, I was too busy working
with the group to be nervous, and my debriefing gave me a perspective on my
facilitation style that I was totally unaware of.

* Bea, Tierra Nueva Cohousing*

Laird & Ma'ikwe bring a strong and compassionate presence sprinkled with a
generous amount of patience, kindness, and humility in the work  they teach
and facilitate. Within the facilitation sessions I experienced theory and
practice… especially dealing with conflict and consensus decision-making.

 ------------------------------
Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on
<http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15&ncid=aolhom00030000000001>

David Clements, Evan Richardson, Wesley Clements, Lila Richardson
43 Vermont Court, #G24
Ashev0.0.010988.1869R:00ce575b E:3072.782035161 V:10e7

--
Elizabeth Leila L'Abate

" I assume that the ardent endeavor to discover the ideal, and to embody it
in individual and collective life, develops the bone and sinew of body, mind
and spirit." Scott Nearing

Katherine Mancuso: caped crusader of community art, technology, &
disability!
~content manager, web writer, blogger, & designer for hire~

~Social Software Superpowers And Cybernetic Wings~
blog: http://museumfreak.livejournal.com
linkblog: http://del.icio.us/museumfreak
linked-in: http://www.linkedin.com/in/kathymancuso
(ask me for IM & gaming contact info)

~Because all superheroines need pink leotards!~
Technology Workgroup Co-Chair, Alternate ROOTS (arts & activism):
http://www.alternateroots.org
Spitzer Dance Company: http://www.spitzerdance.org
Atlanta Contact Improv: http://www.atlantacontact.org