[rollei_list] Re: rollei_list Digest V1 #65

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 06:44:56 -0600

Recently, you wrote:

> From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [rollei_list] Re: "... the weak-sister abilities of an SLR"
> (was: OT / Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:12:19 -0500
>
> Hi Ardeshir,
>
>> But note that with most
>> lenses, the SLR user can also shoot with both eyes open.
>
> Only if you turn the camera sideways, or don't mind one eye staring
> into the back of the camera.
> The M has an offset viewfinder, that
> easily allows both eyes to be open in either camera position.  I'm
> not saying this is an advantage or useful or not, just that I think
> what you said is not true.  I have many SLRs, and none of them allow
> me to shoot with both eyes open...and I'm not sure what the lense has
> to do with this ability/inability.

That depends on the camera, no? I have no problem shooting with both eyes
open when using either OM cameras or my Leica R5. I chose the R5 because
it is the same size as my OMs. The ergonomics of the OM are better suited
to this technique, because the left hand can adjust shutter speed and
aperture while the Leica requires the right to adjust shutter speed, and
this can "jiggle" the viewfinder away from the subject. But, the prism on
either camera is sufficiently small that it doesn't block the view from
the left eye (again, the OM is superior in this respect, as well).

Regards,

Neil Gould
      Terra Tu AV - www.terratu.com
      Technical Graphics & Media