[rollei_list] Re: off topic: Leica Repair cost

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 12:13:41 -0400

Dear Ken, Jerry, Peter etc.

Thanks for your input. I had also written to DAG and John van Stelten. DAG so far seems to have the best deal: $290 + shipping but not sure from his e-mail if he can restore the lens. John can restore the lens front element but that alone is $250!

Upon a second more indignant e-mail from me, Leica Germany finally gave me an estimate of 500-600 EURO(!) to repair this M3 but they said the lens can't be repaired due to missing parts! Wow. I guess that's Leica land for you.

So what do you think, is it worth restoring a 1955 M3 for $300 and another $250 for the Summicron recoating? Given that the camera cost me only $250 so far I might go for at least the body restoration...and considering that a new collapsible chrome Elmar 2.8/50 alone costs $840...
Looks like this is going to be a long-term project.
Jan

From: Kenneth Frazier <kennybod@xxxxxxx>
Why do you want to send it to Germany? There are a number of excellent
Leica repair people in the US and Canada: DAG, Sherry Krauter,
Tamarkin, Kinderman in Canada, etc.
Ken
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:04:31 -0700
From: Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Jan
The Reverend is correct. I am certain that Don or
Sherry will do a perfect job at a much more reasonable
cost. And faster too! their work is impeccable

--- Rollei List