[rollei_list] new Rollei-branded medium format scanner PDF-S 240 / for films & prints

  • From: Bigler Emmanuel <Emmanuel.Bigler@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 13:35:11 +0100

I'm not sure that our readers are very enthusiastic about
Rollei-branded products distributed by RCP Technik. At least, few
threads here actually discuss about those products.

However there is an interesting Rollei-branded new product for our
family archives, I mean not what you need for scanning the
best-of-best of your Rolleiflex film treasuries, but simply a
family-grade scanner helping you to share a digital file of your
Rollei film-images with family & friends

"Photo-Dia-Film-Scanner Rollei PDF-S 240"
Announced available for Feb. 2012.

http://www.rcp-technik.com/typo3/index.php?id=rollei-scanner&L=1
http://www.rcp-technik.com/typo3/fileadmin/downloads/_DFS/ROLLEI_SCANNER_PDF-S240/datasheet/multi/Dblatt_Rollei_PDF-S240_UK.pdf

The availability of affordable CMOS image sensors has pushed the
development of "family scanners" which are a kind of simplified macro
bench that takes a picture of your slide or neg actually without any
mechanical scan, and generates a jpeg file without need for any
computer, software ... or skills.

I already own, for 35mm films only, such a $100, 5-Mpix box from
Reflecta GmbH (actually made far East of the Oder & Neisse rivers)
which is the perfect tool when I want to print a 6x8" image from one
of my 35 mm kodachrome archives. It's like a slide viewer, except for
an additional "OK" button, you press the button, the jpeg is stored on
a SD-card at the back of the box. Connect the box or the card to a
all-in-one family photo printer, and suprisingly you get a decent 6x8"
print. A similar box has been introduced by (do not remember the
brand) for 6x6 but you'd have to cut your images as individual 6x6
pieces of film, which I find unacceptable. Another more ambitious
scanner by Pacific Image (marketed in Europe by Reflecta under the
name MF-5000) forces you to cut your 120 film into pieces of 6x9 cm
max, another impossible thing for me.

In 6x6 I'm a 3-frame or 4-frame guy, most precisely: for some unknown
reason I cut my home-made 6x6 B&W negs into strips of 3 and my colour
slides into strips of 4. Colour negs are cut by the lab according to
their own preferences, I have some colour negs cut into strips of 2
6x6 frames. But a single 6x6 frame : nein, danke !!

So far after reading the official one-page brochure I'm still unable
to tell whether new Rollei 14-Mpix PDF-S 240 box can hold film strips
with more than one image, either 135 or 120. This has to be checked by
those who could be interested, before even questioning the quality of
the final image scan, for which I expect no miracle, but if it is just
just for a 8x8" print...

Sure, those who already own a flatbed scanner will not be interested
by this kind of scanner-box, but if you do not have a medium format
scanner, think twice about your actual needs, and eventually, may be,
this kind of box, depending on the actual retail price, could be useful
at least as a small 'el cheapo' family machine to make proofs or
whichever you call scans not made by an Imacon, an Eversmart or a
drum-Tango-whatever.

On the other hand, now that full-frame digital reflex cameras offer
more than 30 Mpix, one could seriously consider to re-photograph your
film archives with a classical macro lens & bench ... but this is
another story ... costing you $3000, though ;-)

--
Emmanuel