[rollei_list] lab v. homebrew prints

  • From: Craig Roberts <crgrbrts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 20:24:39 -0400

Interestingly, my "homebrew" printing results are turning out better than the lab's (I have routinely used a well-respected, high-end custom pro lab in Washington, DC).

I'm scanning the film on an Epson 4990 flatbed at 2400 dpi, then reducing the file to 300 dpi and increasing image size to 8" x 8" for printing. My printer is a modest Canon iP4200 with separate yellow, cyan and magenta ink cartridges and two black pigment cartridges (one is dedicated to grayscale printing only). I'm currently printing on Kodak Ultima which is giving me a better results than the Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy that's standard for the printer.

Although it's impossible to detect on a screen display and at 72 dpi, the tonal range of the final prints is exactly as it should be -- or at least better than I've been getting from the lab.

Before he passed away, Barry Thornton wrote a book on black and white digital scanning and printing which is quite good. It's called "Elements of Transition" and is available on CD from www.monochromephotography.com . I think it's a worthwhile presentation.

By the way, has anyone tried the Ilford "Gallerie" inkjet papers? If so, how are they?

Many thanks,

Craig Roberts
Washington, DC