[rollei_list] e: OT: Leica vs. CZ lenses

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 10:14:17 -0500

Thor et al.
My IIIA and turret finder are coming up for overhaul with Henry in the next couple of weeks. Did he find exactly the (postwar?) Biogon and Sonnars you wanted for you? I doubt a 2/85 Sonnar can be had for $500 anymore - that must have been years ago. I asked Henry to look for a late 4/135 Sonnar for me.

I prefer the tiny Sekonic Twinmate L-208 over the Digisix. More intuitive readout to me and it comes with the flash shoe (optional accessory with Digisix, AFAIK). But will be glad not to have to us it on the IIIa.

Something else:
I noticed Venezuelan amedeo.m's CZ Contax to Leica M adapters are bidding really high on EBAY right now ($300+, 30-60 bids). See new auction No. 130344993637, for an example. Is there a rennaissance of using classic Zeiss lenses on Leicas going on? Perhaps his adapters have improved so much they are now worth it. His is not making them from scratch from solid brass rather than using old Kiev mounts as he did before I wouldn't mind using my 1.5/50 CZ Sonnar on the M6 rather than getting the current ZM version, if the results are comparable.
Jan

From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
$1000 is still a substantial chunk of cash. I bought 2 IIa bodies, one
with 50/1.5 and the other with a 50/2 for around $300. I gave one to a
friend who wanted to learn photography (after having it CLA'd in the
UK) and the other went to Henry for restoration (another few hundred
$), leaving me way under the $1G mark. Plus I got a (very fine) 50/1.5
lens for free :-).
Later I found (and had Henry help source and restore) a 35/2.8 Biogon,
85/2 Sonnar and 135/4 Sonnar, along with a turret finder. Most of the
lenses were very reasonably priced, I think the 85/2 set me back the
most, and it was a bit over $500 including the overhaul and shipping.
As is the tiny Gossen Digisix I carry in my pocket. It has the
advantage of working with any camera I choose to use :-)
Cheers,
Thor