[rollei_list] Re: 'cord IV-Plus X-Microdol combo + photo hunter

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 18:26:35 -0500

>      BTW D-76 also becomes an acutance developer at 1:3.
> Kodak does not publish times but Ilford does for ID-11. I've
> tried this on 35mm, there is a noticable sharpness effect
> but I didn't like the overall results. I don't remember now
> what film I used it on but think it was probably Ilford
> FP-4.
>
> --
> Richard Knoppow

At my college (Webster) in the 70's everyone who was using the darkroom and
taking photo classes all ran their film in D76 1:2 or 1:3 even.
Few people you'll hear of now dilute it more than 1:1.
The one guy who ran his at 1:1 at my school you could spot his prints from
across the room they were a lot softer looking than everyone else's. Mushier
grain. Much less edge effects. It was like he was using a cheap Tamron lens
with a cheap uv filter and no shade. But it was all chemical as he was using
what we all were using. Nikkor's.
People on the lists think I'm nuts or a liar when I tell them this.
Like it's written in stone D76 1:1 you cant use more water and more time.

By the way when I tried or my friends tried a higher dilution on Hc-100 than
B it came out blotchy. Anyone I ever knew who gave i Hc-100 B a shot when it
came out came back to D-76 or Fg7 or whatever else after a few months.
To me I represented a lot of wasted work.
We'd been told Ansel was using it.
I doubt it.
I'm much  more fond of Elon/Metal then Phenidone developers.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner