[rollei_list] Re: "... are they any good (as cameras)?" (was: Fake Leica, Stupid seller)

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 15:06:22 -0400

On Wednesday, April 6, 2005, at 01:29  PM, Bob Shell wrote:

> On Wednesday, April 6, 2005, at 01:20  PM, John Jensen wrote:
>
>> Jerry, aside from the fact that they are fakes, are they any good (as
>> cameras)? Do you know? Just curious.
>
> I have a bunch of them. They are FED or Zorki cameras with faked Leica
> engraving. They vary a lot in quality depending on the condition of
> the camera before the fakers worked on it, and whether they did any
> cleaning and lube work. One that I got from russiansouvenirs.com is as
> smooth as the real thing and takes great pictures. Another one was put
> together so poorly that the whole lens mount fell off!

It's really good when you get a good one, though. I have a Zorki-4
(this is not a REAL fake Leica, just a "look-a-Leica" with some clearly
discernible differences from the real thing) with an f/2.0 50 mm
Jupiter (Leica-compatible screw mount) lens. The camera works like a
charm, and the lens is sharp as all hell. With a bit of moly grease I
bunged into in its works with a Q-tip, the lens even feels, when
focussing, as silky-smooth as a genuine Leitz lens. The whole camera,
including the lens, cost me all of $45 (US funds), and that cost
included shipping from the Ukraine. Came with a leather case, too, and
in fairly good condition, at that. It was my first buy on eBay. The
take-up spool was defective, but I fixed it using some Scotch tape. Now
it doesn't even fall out.

For THAT price, a camera almost as good as a real Leica! I AM pleased.
(I still lust after an M3, though).

Cheers.