[rollei_list] Re: another Epson scan

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 13:50:19 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Williams" <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 04, 2006 10:55 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: another Epson scan

At 10:45 AM 8/4/2006 -0400, Craig wrote:
Another Epson 4990 scan of a Rolleiflex 2.8E Xenotar transparency
(Fuji Velvia 100):

www.aerialacts.com/gnome.jpg

Craig Roberts
Washington, DC

Don't know about anyone else, but although I really enjoy my solid
state display (an inexpensive one), it really doesn't have the
contrast ratio or rich color my CRT had. When I view that shot on my
monitor there is a lot of detail which vanishes in the dark sections.

Does anyone else have this same experience or am I just dealing with
a cheap display?

I can still get good prints (say "family quality") with my
scanner-printer combination, but when I really want something nice I
send it out.

Don Williams
La Jolla, CA

We have been replacing tube monitors with solid state monitors at work. They are simply not up to CRT quality. They will do for not very critical monitoring but would never be suitable for any sort of graphics work or for painting cameras or doing film transfers. On top of this comes an announcement by Sony that they will stop making Trinitrons soon. If that's true I don't know what they are going to offer to replace Class A and Class B broadcast monitors. On top of this the new plasma displays burn faster than tubes. We have to go around turning them off in unused control rooms. New technology is not always better.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx