[rollei_list] Yet More OT: The Scots Borders and Scottish Eggs

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 15:06:11 -0400

At 11:55 AM 10/15/2006, Peter J Nebergall wrote:

My mother's father was from Hawick. I am not talking of Westmoreland, but old Cumberland... up on the wall. BEEEEEG difference. This is the old "Border Counties, " home of fightin, fussin' and feudin like you would not believe. I lived there 4 years, and did my dissertation: INDUSTRY AND INSTABILITY. Chapter 2: "1700 Yars of Border Violence," is a long and monotonous list, ending with "after reading this, one may be legitimately surprised to find anyone alive there at all..." These people are unique... Their interest is in "poteen," alcohol, not good cooking.

Ah, Peter, your take on the Border Counties is probably true. George MacDonald Fraser, he of the FLASHMAN tales and the saga of MacAuslan, that "World's Dirtiest Soldier", also wrote a fine book on the Borders, THE STEEL BONNETS.

My own people come from the lower Highlands, Inbhirnis and Perthshire and the like, so we were more into sheep-stealing and dry-gulching unsuspecting innocents than in the sort of organized mayhem seen on the Borders.

I did make Scotch Eggs for breakfast this morning, a first stab at an old dish, and my Scottish cookbooks are yet in Roanoke and have not yet been moved. Upon reflection, I would recommend the following:

Hard-boil four eggs for 12 minutes. Place in cool water and shell when cool but not cold. At the same time, put some oil (I use either Canola Oil or Canola and Peanut Oil mixed fifty-fifty, albeit neither is native to the Highlands, where they probably used lard taken off the corpses of those innocents they had so unsuspectingly dry-gulched the day before. The oil should be around 350 degrees F -- if your stove does not permit such fineries, set it at a notch less than you would use for fried fish or chicken.

Split a pound of pork sausage (generally called "country" sausage in the US but more properly known as "fresh" sausage to differentate it from cased sausages) into four sections. To do this, flour your hands and make four thin patties. Flour both sides of these patties in flour mixed with a half-teaspoon of salt and some pepper, fresh-ground to taste.

Coat the four hard-boiled eggs in yet more flour, and roll them into the sausage patties, completely covering the eggs. Roll the resulting plump assemblage in the rest of the flour, salt, and pepper mix.

Whisk a raw egg into a bowl. If you do not have a whisk at hand (all of my whisks are in Roanoke at the nonce), you can use a fork but only stir the egg into a single mixture -- do not beat it!

Brush the plump egg-and-sausage assemblages with the raw egg. Roll this in bread crumbs until completely covered. Dump any remaining bread crumbs onto the four plump assemblages.

Place the plump assemblages into the oil and cook for five minutes or so. Make certain the oil is fully heated before doing this. (I cheated and used a deep-fat frier with an inbuilt thermometer, and with a timer to boot.) These properly should be cooked vertically but, then, you have to be careful not to have too much oil in the pot unless you are cooking this on an industrial-grade metallurgic furnace, as deep oil will often segregate into levels of different temperatures. I cooked mine on their side.

Drain above the oil for 20 or 30 seconds when they are done. Place on a paper towel to degrease, and eat hot or cold. These puppies can be microwaved if cold but be cautious if you happen to have a Turbo-Supercharged High-Power Nuking Machine as my wife insists we use.

The decaf, diet-soda, and salad crew in our midst will be swooning in disbelief by this point, as these guys are absolutely vile in every conventional term: they are contributors to Global Warming and Terminal Air Pollution, they are REALLY high-calorie and high-cholesterol, and they involve the sacrifice of unfertilized archosaur ova and live Porky Pigs. But, DAMN, they taste good.

One thing I was looking forward to when we moved to the Richmond, Virginia, area was a return to Matt's British Pub, which made a killer Scotch Egg. But, a couple of months before we arrived, Matt's closed and was turned into a New-Age Easy-Eating Bistro populated by young guys with thin chin-hair and young women with green hair and black fingernails. So, for the first time, I made my own, and they were GOOD.

Future endeavours on my agenda include home-made fresh sausage and Haggis, a dish I have not made since 1974 -- but that market which keeps the Kippers in the freezer just for me will probably be able to cough up the necessary sheep gut. Back in '74, I just went to a Greek butcher in New Haven and he pulled it out of the back but I suspect these are harder to get today. (Different clans eat the Haggis in different ways: some eat it with a whisky chaser, others pour the whisky over the Haggis before eating. My clans follow the first practice but I've had it the second way as well, and it is a wonderful dish either way. Contemplate Scrapple: this is a corn-meal mush based dish which includes "every part of the pig save the oink". Well, Haggis is an oatmeal-based dish which include "every part of the sheep save the baa". No wonder emigrant Highlanders invented Scrapple.)

Drooling in anticipation,

I remain,

Yr Obdt Svnt (with a nod to Jerry and thanks to the late and lamented Henry N Manney)

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!