[rollei_list] Re: WKHR

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:43:24 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Marvin" <marvbej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:00 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: WKHR

Marc,

WKHR is certainly not the only non-NPR publicly-supported radio station; there are the Pacifica stations, KPFK, KPFA, and WBAI. Although if you think NPR is Bolshevik [which IMO is ridiculous], I don't know what you'd make of those three, which really are quite far to the left. I used to listen to WBAI, here in New York, but find it's politics too strident, even when I agree . I do listen to the three local NPR stations though. You wouldn't like WNYC, which is all news and talk, but you just might enjoy WBGO (jazz) and WQXR (classical)--you could ignore the occasional short NPR newscasts.

Bob Marvin

I think it should also be noted that a great many non-profit (they are no longer really non-commercial) stations are supported largely by corporate money and also by listener "subscribers". Locally, KPCC, operated by Pasadena City College, one of two college stations (the other is KCRW in Santa Monica) that cover the Los Angeles/Orange county areas, has been contracted out to Minnesota Public Radio who provides partial funding and also some programming. Minnesota Public Radio distributes "A Prarie Home Companion" and some news shows. KPCC also distributes and originates some American Public Radio programs. KCRW, while it carries some NPR programming, has tried to remain essentially independent and gets the bulk of its funding from listener subscribers and the usual corporate funding. While the FCC originally provided space at the low end of the FM band for non-commercial, educational stations the lack of government funding for them plus the loosening of regulations, has forced them to accept corporate funding that is tantamount to commercial sponsorship. Many have what amount to commercials. KPCC was originally a low-power station run by Pasadena City College as part of a very good school of broadcasting. It was run by students and had all sorts of eclectic programming, mostly music. The station discovered that they had a grandfathered permit for a transmitter on Mount Wilson, where all the local TV and FM stations are, and developed that. They also decided to change programming to general new and talk since they were now covering an enormous area. The costs went up to the point where the Pasadena Community College District could no longer fund them so the station was essentially leased to MPR. While it still has many excellent programs its complexion changed completely and it no longer has any music programming and actually carries a lot of filler. Too bad. They just completed and moved into a large studio complex, thirteen studios, to originate programming from the West coast. This is just too much like commercial operation for my taste and about as far from "Bolshevik" as one can get.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA