[rollei_list] Re: Very OT: Fifty Years Ago!

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 19:52:28 +0100

Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Pearl (Janis Joplin), Brian Jones, Duane Allman, Mark Bolan, John Bonham, Hillel Slovak, Mamma Cass, Sam Cooke, Keith Moon, Bon Scott, Sid Viscous, Kurt Cobain, Robert Johnson, etc

the list goes on and on and on and on.....

Thor

On 3. feb.. 2009, at 18.34, jon.stanton@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Walker, Add to your list: Jim Croce, Ricky Nelson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bill Chase, Clifford Brown, Bessie Smith...some by plane crashes, others by automobile.

From: Walker Smith <doubs43@xxxxxxx>
As one who clearly remembers the day Hank Williams died on 1 January,
1953, 50 years doesn't seem that long ago. (My 50th high school reunion
will be in 3 years.) Then it was Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and J. P.
Richardson - the "Big Bopper" -  in 1959 followed by Patsy Cline in
1963. All were magnificent talents who should have stayed around longer.

FWIW, I saw Patsy Cline many times as she shopped in Frederick, MD
before she divorced her husband (Charlie Cline) and later moved to
Nashville. She sang in local establishments in the MD - VA - DC areas
before her rise to stardom.

Today's "music" leaves me completely cold.

Walker Smith

Marc James Small wrote:
Fifty years ago was "the day the music died".  A small plane crashed
in the US midwest, and Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, the Big Bopper, and
the pilot, Roger Peterson, were killed.  The event was later
memorialized by Don McLean in his "American Pie".

It is rather sobering to think of this as having occurred a HALF
CENTURY ago.