[rollei_list] Re: VERY OT: Turntables and PC's redoux

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 19:32:40 +0200

So Marc,

did you figure it out for yourself, or would you like me to offer a few suggestions?

I'm back from vacation and back on the list.

Cheers,
Thor

On 14. juli. 2009, at 04.36, Marc James Small wrote:

On 7/13/2009 8:30 PM, Eric Goldstein wrote:
There are inexpensive solutions, such as the one Mark Rabiner
suggests. Peter K's solution will work as well. If you are going to
convert the files to mp3s and listen on an iPod, I'd go the cheapest
route possible, because it will not matter...

There are also more expensive solutions which will sound quite a bit
better. Good turntables, phono cartridges, phono preamps and sound
cards cost more money but yield better results. So much of this
depends upon how crazy you want to make yourself and how deep your
pockets are...

I would see if Thor weighs in on this because this is his wheel house
and he knows his stuff.

Thanks, Eric, but that does not take me very far. I own the turntable, I own an amp, and I probably have the cable, though, if not, I can pick one up for $5 or so. I do not have an iPod and have no interest in that as I spend 23 hours a day at my computer. I am simply trying to figure out a way to rig up my turntable to my computer to transfer vinyl to the hard drive.

So far, I believe I need to use the turntable hooked by RCA plugs to the amp, and the amp hooked by those RCA to 3.5mm coax cables. Then, I need some software to allow the music to flow. Others have suggested some freeware which will do this.

Am I missing something?

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!