[rollei_list] Re: VERY OT: Lucas Electrical Systems

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:36:07 -0500

Hi Marc,

> Thanks, Austin.  You are correct, of course, in
> pointing out that I was not properly specific.

Fair enough.

> The TR5 was never imported to the US:  here it
> was the TR250 and had an SU pump.

Initially, agreed.  But, there are quite a few of them here today...and I've
been looking into buying a TR-5 for some time now.

> And I have
> worked on dozens of TR6's and they all had SU
> pumps.  Go figure.  Maybe all of these mysterious
> Lucas electric fuel pumps ended up in
> Boston?  They certanly never made it outside of
> Massachussets.  Again, none of my repair manuals
> make any reference to any sort of Lucas electric fuel pump.

What I believe you are right about is that the Lucas fuel pump was specific
to the fuel injected cars.  And, most (if not all at that time) of those
British fuel injected cars were not imported into the US mostly due to
emissions.  But, some Jaguars, and some of the Maseratis certainly were
imported into the US and had Lucas fuel pumps.

But...since we were talking about Lucas and reliability of their electrics,
including their fuel pumps ;-) see here:

http://www.snic-braaapp.org/ilucaspi.htm

"The Lucas electric fuel pump used in the system is notorious for
overheating and has been known to vapor lock in warm weather. The standard
solution is to replace the Lucas pump with a more reliable Bosch unit, which
gets mounted in the left rear wheel well."

So, I agree, that the MGs I owned or worked on probably did not have Lucas
fuel pumps.  But, none the less, the Lucas parts of these cars I certainly
experienced unreliability for varied reasons, far more so than their Bosch
equipped counterparts.

Regards,

Austin