[rollei_list] Re: Toyota (Tecate) Grand Prix, Long Beach CA

  • From: keith_w <keith_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 02:58:52 -0800

Don Williams wrote:

At 05:30 PM 3/27/2006 -0800, Slobodan wrote:

Yes, Eric. However, in this activity, ortho-praxis of the spectacle is everything. It's no worse, or better, than any other human activity. If anything, seeing the level of passion that it can elicit, it's no surprise that car racing is the number one sport in the country. Never mind the charged level of pheromones that by the end of the second day of racing is wafting through the whole atmosphere.

Slobodan Dimitrov
Studio G-8,
Angels Gate Cultural Center
http://sdimitrovphoto.com <http://sdimitrovphoto.com/>

If we're into rememberances of the L.B. Grand Prix, I still have the commemorative plastic beer container from the 1976 inaugural U.S. Grand Prix West meet in that city!
That meet was headed by Niki Lauda, 1975 World Driving Champion.
Very few barriers to photographers back then... what memories!

keith whaley
Los Angeles

I went to what I recall as the second LB Grand Prix and shot both racing pictures and pictures of people. I'm not sure how to say it so I'll just say it:

One of the outstanding things I remember taking pictures of are of the many "ladies" with extradorniarliy large upper parts. Wish I could find those shots. There were just so many! Guess it goes with racing. Never brought them out with my wife around, so I must have tucked them away in a safe place.

Because they had rather poor crowd control, I could go just about anywhere and take pictures there for 10-15 minutes until someone found me and hauled me off. I got to places where I could shoot head-in at turns, in turns, and at the back of the cars at turns. Very interesting, and now I realize, not really good judgement on my part. The barriers they had then (and now I suppose) were not that good if you were leaning against them to shoot through the rails or bars.

I also got some shots of Mario Andretti pulling into a little by-way (the course was not so clean those days) and throwing his helmet to the ground. I think he had killed his car.

I went again several years later when a company I bought from sponsored a car and we had pit passes. About the only memorable shot from then was one I had someone else take of me and

Kirstie Alley in a tight hold. She was very trim in those days.

I think, therefore, I have both racing pictures and "racing culture" pictures.

Regards, and have fun.

Don Williams La Jolla, CA