[rollei_list] Re: Tessar vs Tessar; Xenar vs. Xenar

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 14:36:31 -0400

At 12:30 PM 5/12/06 -0500, Peter J Nebergall wrote:
>I have 2 postwar Automats.  One has an opton-tessar 3.5 but the other one
>has been replaced with a later  Carl Zeiss tessar.  The newer tessar is
>in better condition, so sharper, but is it a "better tessar?"  how
>similar were the CZJ, the ZO, and the later CZ tessars (lets just compare
>coated to coated...)

Peter

The Tessar design constantly evolved.  If you send me your lens serial
numbers I can probably date them to the specific batch and provide the date
for that particular design.

There is an interesting bit of lineage here, by the way.  Ernst Wandersleb
worked as Paul Rudolph's assistant on the Tessar design and succeeded him
as the head of Optical Design at Jena.  His own assistant, Hans Sauer, went
west to Oberkochen, where he produced the Planar design and was responsible
for the significant redesign of the Tessar in the middle 1950's which
produced the lenses used on the Rollei T and the Contaflex Super B and
later SLR's.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!