[rollei_list] Re: Tamarkin Rare Camera Auction .. corrected url

  • From: Vick Ko <vick.ko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 17:55:52 -0500

Thor

The M4 is an excellent choice.

In my opinion, an equally good choice is the M4-P, as it has a more modern set of viewfinder frames than the M4, and all the same mechanical elements of the M4. The M4P doesn't have a self timer though, but, how much do you really use one? I don't think the fit-and-finish of the M4-P are "steps down" from the M4, and there is the advantage that the M4-P will be 10 years younger than the M4.

The Leica SLR cameras are interesting, as the ergonomics of the older SL/SL-2 are different than the R3 and latter cameras. Auto exposure modes became available on the R3 and later cameras; the SL and SL-2 were purely mechanical and a much heavier camera.

regards
Vick

On 15/11/2013 5:44 PM, Thor Legvold wrote:
Hi Vick,

thanks for your reply. From what I’ve read online, the M4 seems to be the sweet
spot between classic Leica look and feel, but with modern  niceties to make it
easy to use (film loading, winder, viewfinder, etc). The M3 seems to be a bit
fiddly, but still the benchmark for all others, and the M4-2 and M4-P seem to
be steps down from the wonderful fit and finsh Leica were famous for
previously. Does that seem reasonable?

This is all based on reading over internet sites. I’ve never used one myself.
Did have a photographer friend who had one of the SLR’s, one of the smoothest
shutters and well balanced mechanics I’ve ever experienced. Way too pricey
though.

Thanks for the lens tip!

Thor