[rollei_list] Re: TMax400

  • From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 14:03:48 -0500

Agreed. I meant/should have used ISO.

IE is a whole seperate discussion and without details of temps,
processing times, etc, it's a pretty useless one....

And yes I've pulled Tri-X for years... down to N-2. Sometimes reduced
contrast can be your friend...

Eric Goldstein

On 2/7/07, Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Eric,

There really is no "true IE" for Tri-X 400, but if there were, Steven
Woody has nailed it.  He is reporting an Exposure Index, not Kodak's
"official" ASA/ISO.  An EI can vary considerably from the rated speed
and still be considered suitable.  I have known many competent
photographers rate TX anywhere from 84 to 800 for normal processing in
D76 1:1, and it worked well for their particular circumstances.  In
most cases, however, the best printers I have known rated their TX @
160-250 when processing in D76.

For more than 5 decades I have exposed and processed TX in D76 at EI
200 because it was a good fit with my condenser enlargers to produce a
full tonal range print with most negatives on variable contrast paper,
no filtration.  With a diffusion enlarger, I would rate TX @ EI 250
(the difference really negligible, but sometimes I like to live large).

If you have not yet done so, try rating your next roll of TX @ EI 200,
don't change your processing, and see what comes out.  My guess is you
will be pleased.

Allen Zak