[rollei_list] Re: Rolleikin Use

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 15:09:16 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "CarlosMFreaza" <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 12:34 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rolleikin Use

I use it about once per year, for fun mainly, however it is an excellent option for portraits if you are decided to take portraits without to compose for the square format and without cuttings, the frame uses the best part of the lens only, the central part, it's a short tele for 35mm, BTW you can use it for other kind of shots too.

The Rolleikin appeared for the first time to provide the TLR users means to save money shooting more frames per roll, or if it was needed for technical reasons, F& H did not want to do things easy for the 35mm cameras, Leica specially; several users found interesting to shoot 35mm film in reflex mode when the 35mm cameras did not offer the reflex option. When the first color films appeared, they were 35mm originally and it became another reason to use the Rolleikin.

Carlos

I also use a Rolleikin occasionally for portraits. I find the twin lens camera is less obtrusive than a 35mm SLR for this. I don't know why F&H introduced the Rolleikin but it may have been to make color _film_ available to Rollei users. I think the first color films were available only as 35mm. Some very early processes were available only as color plates. The plate back would have made processes like Finley or the early Agfa color available and the Rolleikin the later Agfacolor and Kodachrome.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA