[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflash and Guide Number

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 01:09:28 -0300

Marc, my main interest for a flash GN is to know the flash power to
compare them, otherwise I use the flash in automatic and I only need
to work with the GN for manual mode sometimes.
Scales in 1955 and today are the same, only was changing the GN that
the manufacturer considers more convenient to show in the basic Flash
specs, but any good flash manual has the GN for different ISO, for
example the Rollei E 36 ER manual has Guide Numbers for ISO 12 to 1600
including every intermediate number in the ISO scale between these two
numbers, but please note that only 12, 25, 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1
600 are emphasized because doubling the film speed each time the
difference produce significant changes for the exposure with flash and
then you have, f.e., that for ISO 25 the guide number is 25(metres)
and for ISO 50 is 36(metres), ISO 100 GN is 51 (metres), ISO 200 GN is
72, etc., etc. (You can convert  metres in feet using an online
conversor), and then I think the Flash manual is the ideal means to
know any Flash GN for any ISO speed for feet and metres.

But if you don't have the Flash manual and you only have a little
manual flash indicating one GN, for example GN 20(metres) for ISO 100
and you have an ISO 400 film, the quick formulae is: 20 x 1.4=28 for
ISO 200 and 28 x1.4 for ISO 400=39.2 or 39 for practical purposes, and
then you have that your GN 20 for ISO 100 became GN 39 for ISO 400.
The same way if your GN is 26 for ISO 25, the quick formulae is; 26 x
1.4= GN 36.4 for Iso 50 and  36.4 x 1.4=GN 50.96 or 51 for ISO 100.
In feet would be about 82 (ISO 25) and 118 (ISO 50) and 168 (ISO 100).

Carlos