[rollei_list] Re: -- Rolleicord V & Vb

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 13:41:00 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter J Nebergall" <iusar4s@xxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 30, 2006 2:58 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: -- Rolleicord V & Vb

I have a Cord Vb with a Xenar. It was my first Rollei. How is the V
different from the Vb?

I have an Ikoflex with Triotar, and it is very hazy. How eway is it to
de-haze these lenses?

Peter

Its pretty common for lenses to develop an internal haze. I don't know for certain the source but think it may be from volitile matter from the anti-reflection paint inside the lens cells. The haze comes off with ordinary lens cleaner but one must disassemble the lens to get to the internal surfaces. This is easy with some lenses, not so easy for others. Many Tessar type lenses have a retaining ring on the front which unscrews. Sometimes they have slots but often do not. They are removed by using a friction wrench made of a tube of the right size with sticky rubber on one end. I have made some for myself but they are not completely satisfactory. When made correctly they can not slip and can't damage the lens surface. I have run across lenses which I can't figure out. For instance the Tessar on the Old Standard Rolleiflex. This does not have either a threaded retaining ring or a back cap. I _think_ the front cell is split and unscrews at the center but I have not been able to get it apart. Most Schneider lenses have slotted rings and some also have very small set screws. Zeiss used several methods of assembling cells so there is no general rule for them. Even a slight haze will make a substantial difference in image contrast. I think one reason uncoated lenses have a reputation for severe flare is really due to haze. For a lens of the Triplet or Tessar type the difference in flare between a coated and uncoated lens is not very great.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx