[rollei_list] Re: Rollei color conversion filters

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 12:09:22 -0300

2010/8/8 Allan Derickson <alland435@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I've started shooting chromes for projection again and of course there is no
> post processing as is the case for prints or digital. You have to get the
> color corrected at the time of the shot. I'm starting to build some
> experience at this but to help I bought a Gossen Sixticolor meter.

Yes, I think Fuji Velvia and Fuji Provia slide films are some of the
best to shoot most of the time without filters using natural light.
BTW color temperature lightmeters allow very exact results,  I think
they are specially necessary for difficult and complex lighting
scenes.
About filters use and digital image, this is an opinion from Schneider:

"In digital photography, filters are also important tools for
enhancing picture quality. In spite of the effects that can be applied
with imaging control programs that allow subsequent corrections not
possible with traditional photography, the basic rule is still valid:
Picture information that is not present in the original photograph
cannot be reconstructed later with a computer – unless they are
“painted in”, which is not authentic. When UV- or IR radiation have
caused a haze and lack of sharpness, it would be only remedially
possible to counter this deterioration by bending the gradation curve
(increasing contrast) and by artificial sharpness correction (unsharp
masking). This method cannot efficiently duplicate the brilliance and
detailed sharpness that a UV-/IR blocking filter in front of the lens
would have preserved. If reflections on a pane of glass block the view
of things behind it, even the most sophisticated image manipulation
program cannot magically recreate information that’s been lost,
whereas a polarizing filter would have eliminated most of the
reflections. And enhancing filters add specific enhancements that are
unique and not duplicated in post-production imaging control."