[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Lens Elements

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 08:01:10 -0300

It was said and it's still said that a new element was added for the
3.5/75 Planar and Xenotar lenses to improve their color performance
with  new color films at the time, the version tells they added an UV
filter for that purpose.
It's not true, the modified elements were the second element for the
Planar 3.5/75 and the fourth element for the Xenotar 3.5/75, they are
real modifications from the point of view a single element was
replaced by two thinner cemented elements, the 3.5/75 Planar that had
two single front elements became with three elements (second and third
cemented) and the Xenotar 3.5/75 that had two single rear elements
became with three rear elements (fourth and fifth cemented, the sixth
single). The Planar 3.5/75 with 6 elements became a Xenotar type
design. If the UV filter theory was true they added one single element
without other modifications for the lenses.

The "marketing ploy" does not make sense IMO,  the 2.8/80 five
elements Planar and Xenotar (in general preferred by professionals)
did not suffer changes and they always had five elements and even the
2009 Rolleiflex TLR Planar has five elements. BTW, according the
optical design and glass, you could have similar results for some
elements making them single but thicker or double but thinner. The
Nikkor f2/85mm lens that impressed Life photographers was a Sonnar
type design, however the original had seven elements and the Nikkor
five elements thanks to Nippon used some thicker elements.

Carlos