[rollei_list] Re: Rollei 35 DoF chart and guess-focusing

  • From: Bigler Emmanuel <bigler@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 11:41:31 +0200

Le 05/07/2012 09:58, Marc James Small a écrit :

...the practice was to use a depth-of-field scale based upon a given
'circle of confusion'. These photographers would then set their
Speed Graphics or the like to catch the first appearance of an
indicted Mayor or the like. WeeGee did this. Marx

Yes Marc, and if can add my own experience as an amateur. Once I've
get trained to the DoF scales of my Rollei-35, (I celebretaed the
30-th anniversary of continuous use of a Rollei 35 last year) I have
hardly ever got out of focus images. Even worse: one day I succumbed
to the temptation of a compact Contax T-VS with a small zoom and
built-in autofocus. I've got much more blurred images with the small
Contax than with the Rollei 35; and disengaging the autofocus control
to use the manual focusing ring of the contax is really not practical

My beloved father, trained to guess-focusing since 1935, probably
educated me in my early years. Even when he bought a 35 mm Contaflex
reflex camera (in 1963) with a superb split-image rangefinder, in fact
most of the time he continued to use engraved DoF scales of his 50mm
tessar and guess-focusing.

Marx
I always suspected, Marc, that you were an uncompromising marxist.
So am I: Groucho style, what about you ? ;-);-)

--
Emmanuel