[rollei_list] Re: Question about Rollei Filters and compensation

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:24:26 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Williams" <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 4:59 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Question about Rollei Filters and compensation

At 03:37 PM 11/28/2005 -0800, you wrote:

Peter.

No, according to Mannheim, the Rollei Mittel-Gelb has a factor
of 3, the orange has 6. or to put it in EV terms, reduce the EV
by 1.5 and 2.5 respectively.

The numbers on the Rollei filters refer to EV settings, not filter factors.

As Don Williams suggested, put the filter in
front of your meter cell.  Works for me.

It also works underwater, even for color film. I use a CC20R or CC30R filter in my Rolleimarin, and I have made up laminated (waterproof) filters from the same gel stock for use with my light meter. This really helps kill the blue-green down to maybe 20-30' in clear water. Beyond that there isn't enough red-end light to make an available light exposure, so artificial lighting is in order. (My Rolleimarin filters are self-made, using thin flat glass blanks, clear epoxy, Wratten gels, and a vacuum system which assures no bubbles in the assembled sandwich.)

Jerry

Something that has always puzzled me about filter factors is what, exactly, is being corrected.
For instance, suppose one is using a red filter to photograph red objects. A red filter usually has a very large filter factor, will not the objects be overexposed? The transmission curves for the filter will show its attenuation in the pass band. My instinct is that the correction should be no more than this loss. For instance, the transmission curves for a No.25 (wratten A) filter is about 98% is its pass band. If we want normal rendition of relative brightness of red objects should we not use something close to the normal exposure? The idea of filters is that they suppress colors in the stop band. Presumably, we _want_ these colors to be underexposed but the desired colors to be normally exposed.
I may be missing something obvious here such as maintaining normal exposure of objects of mixed color but changing their relative tonal value on the negative. I think this is the case but it suggests that the filter factor is no more than a sort of average guide and may be wrong for some types of objects of scenes.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx