[rollei_list] Re: Photokina 2010

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 08:29:15 -0300

Yes, it is confusing really, my current knowledge about your questions are:
1) Years ago Agfa sold their photography products division as an
independent company and Agfaphoto was created; Agfaphoto manufactured
the well known Agfa films and minilabs and chemical products but they
had a bankruptcy process in Germany; a lot of Agfa products (films and
chemicals mainly) were sold during the bankruptcy process to different
buyers like Fotoimpex Berlin (Adox) and Maco (Rollei films), they sold
an are still selling these products.-
2) As a result of the orginal Agfaphoto bankruptcy process, a new
Agfaphoto company was created, this is the company at the Photokina
2010, this company  has the right to produce those Agfaphoto products
that the bankruptcy administrator did not sell or did not eliminate
during the bankruptcy process for other buyers and then they are
producing digital and analog consumer products; and also Agfaphoto
minilabs and chemical products for minilabs via a company called "Saal
GmbH" from Dresden.
3) The new Agfaphoto company no longer manufactures traditional Agfa
chemicals products and B&W pro films, except for the 35mm APX 100, it
looks like the bankruptcy administrator sold the rights to Fotoimpex
Berlin (Adox), at least the new Adox (Fotoimpex Berlin) is producing
them using the traditional Agfa brand names (Rodinal etc.).
4) About Adox, DuPont licensed the Adox film technology, but not the
trademark, to Fotokemika in the former Yugoslavia for films sold under
their Efke
trademark. DuPont transferred the "Adox" trademark to their subsidiary
Sterling Diagnostic Image, they used "Adox" for a chemical product. In
1999 Agfa bought Sterling Diagnostic Image from DuPont and the Adox
trademark returned to Germany, however Agfa never used the name "Adox"
and then the German Patent Office trademark registry removed it in
March, 2003.
The "Adox" name was revived by companies in Canada, the United States,
and FOTOIMPEX  in Germany, they are not related to the original
Schleussner firm.
J&C in the States used the name "Adox" after 2003, but it seems they
no longer are in business, "Adox Fotowerke" is a film manufacturer in
Calgary,Canada, they lincensed the name "Adox" to FOTOIMPEX too for
Canada, they still manufacture film products with the name "Bluefire".
And the FOTOIMPEX from Berlin seems to be the only authorized "Adox"
trademark user today, Fotoimpex is/was a commercial company that has a
photography chemical factory close to Berlin now, where they
manufacture the "Adox" and other brands products.

Carlos

PS: Decades ago I was Agfa CT18 slide film fan.