[rollei_list] Re: Papers and Stuff

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 06:50:05 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Romeo" <jamesromeo@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 19, 2010 11:03 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Papers and Stuff

The first vc paper I ever used was
made by Dupont called Varagam
If I rember about 1952
it was the only vc in the states at the
time
Dupont made # of great papers
There was a great one used by a fashion photographer NYC I worked
for 1954 I can not rember the name
of that paper

AFAIK, Ilford made the very first variable contrast paper but Varigam came out not much after. Varigam was originally made by Defender Photo Products, a Rochester company who was later bought out by Dupont. Defender's most famous paper was Velour Black. This was one of the first enlarging papers made, a pure silver bromide emulsion. I used a lot of it when I was starting out. Dupont made motion picture film but supplied chemicals like sensitizing dye to Defender. So did Kodak who actually made some Defender films. Defender made printing paper and sheet film. I think Kodak tried to keep Defender in business as protection from anti-trust action. If there are three competitors in a field anti-trust is not usually tried. The other competitor was Ansco. Dupont's motion picture film was called Superior and was evidently popular among Hollywood directors of photography. Kodak used to advertise their motion picture films with the motto "NO Superior".

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA