[rollei_list] Re: Olympus Stylus Epic-Off Topic

  • From: "Jeff Kelley" <jlkphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 08:11:22 -0700

Right, the buttons are so small & close together I have a hard time pressing
them both at the same time.  You'll know you're successful when the symbol
appears.  It looks like a small rectangle with a dot in the center.  Spot
mode is inactive with the two night flash modes.

One of my only complaints with these cameras is that they always go back to
the default settings when turned off.  I sure wish I could turn off the
flash and have it stay off or turn on the spot mode and have it stay on!

I now have three of these cameras... one for B&W, one for color, and one new
in the box waiting for the day the others finally crash & burn.  They have
been discontinued but can still be found new.  B&H has them:  *
http://tinyurl.com/2gy9sh   *
2 of mine were found on ebay for $20 or $30...new at B&H they are $80.

Once you practice with the spot mode and understand the camera you'll get
some wonderful shots from a camera with an incredibly sharp lens...and
it fits in your pocket.

I often trick the DX settings by altering the ISO settings of the film
cassette.  The camera only reads 50, 100, 200, 400, 800,1600 and defaults to
100 if not one of the above.  For example I shoot Tri-X at 1600 for night
shots this way.
Here how to trick the DX sensor:
http://www.markushartel.com/tutorials/camera-related/trick-the-dx-sensor.html

Jeff