[rollei_list] Re: Old Cameras and Conversation

  • From: Håkon T Sønderland <hts@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 23:27:47 +0200

Hi Jan,

I got to say I'm well pleased with this camera. It allows me to do a different kind of photography. One more spontaneous and 'organic'. Less thinking and more feeling. I realise this might not be for everyone or even for all times. But I love it even so. When I can be more patient and thinking I can still bring out one of my film cameras. Maybe I even get a good conversation or meet a new friend. The best tools make you do something you thought you couldn't. This may sometimes even happen with a new toy.

Håkon
The half serious photographer :)

Jan Decher wrote:
Håkon,
No, indeed I spotted the digital Pen becasue I got interested in it after reading some reviews in a British camera magazine. I am mostly interested in it because of its retro sty;ling, becasue I used to shoot Olympus OM cameras, and becasue one can attach Leica lenses to it with an M to micro 4/3rd adapter. I do wish camera companies would take this retro thing a little bit more serious and give us back real rangefinders (a digital Canonet or Nikon SP perhaps?). The optical viewfinder on my Canon G10 was a joke (very unprecise, no readouts etc.). I sold the camera for that reason. In the case of the original Olympus Pen the best thing about it was its compact porro prism reflex viewing! Why drop that feature and give it just the LCD finder for more of that "arms-length photography" we see all around us these days. Can't stand it!

Cool pictures on your flickr site, BTW.
Jan

P.S.: Thinking about it, Rolleiflex TLR photographers in some way always were "arms-length photographers" too. Oh well! Maybe I should get the new G11 with the hinged LCD back for "fake Waistlevel viewing". I better stop, its 1:30 in the morning here in Vermont... ;-)

Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 15:59:08 +0200

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?H=E5kon_T_S=F8nderland?= <hts@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:hts@xxxxxxxxxx>>

Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Old Cameras and Conversation

Jan,

... I did see someone in Cambridge with the new Olympus Pen E-P1 just days
after it was released. Advertising works.

Hmm, so anyone with the Pen is what?  Not a serious photographer?

Håkon

Quite serious Pen photographer

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ergates/sets/72157621757347693/show/