[rollei_list] Re: Old Cameras and Conversation

  • From: Robert Lilley <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:16:01 -0400

Jan,

Thanks for sharing the information about the Beier photographic collection. Some incredible stuff there!

Rob
On Aug 25, 2009, at 9:23 AM, Jan Decher wrote:

Elias,

I had to smile because I imagine Nova Scotia pretty uninhabited, so it would be quite an event to run into any serious photographer...

But I agree in general, I seemed to be the only person using a Rolleiflex and film-Leica this summer in all of Cambridge and London. I did see someone in Cambridge with the new Olympus Pen E- P1 just days after it was released. Advertising works.

The Leica got me into a nice conversation with Indian writer Rana Dasgupta who, traveling with his family, spotted me fiddling with the camera in the Cambride Botanical Garden gift store and asked me about it. We have since exchanged som e-mails and I now want to read his recent novel "Solo" which will be release in the US next year.

Rana is himself a good photographer (http://www.ranadasgupta.com/) and he also pointed me to this fascinating German website: http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,627720,00.html

Jan

From: Elias Roustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Carlos, I'm not a ghost, but I saw only one other photographer using
film during my two weeks in Nova Scotia this year.
My Rolleiflex still got me into great conversations, and some at ease
subjects. I...
E.