[rollei_list] Re: Off-Topic: the Earthquake and Me

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 21:31:31 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Brick" <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2011 4:33 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Off-Topic: the Earthquake and Me

I guess this is the difference between SoCA and NoCA. Here in Silly Cone Valley, we sit on the Hayward Fault and the San Andreas Fault (both major major faults that will eventually wreak total havoc), but there are myriad other smaller faults all over the place here which rattle constantly. Parkfield, just south of here is the earthquake center of the US/world. A USGS person said that Parkfield is nearly in constant motion (obviously a slight exaggeration), but that's where he USGS does a major part of their research.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/parkfield/index.php

Here is a CA map, notice the number of between 3/4/5 earthquakes over the past week, many right here in the Bay Area & Salinas Valley.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqscanv/

So I wasn't kidding - if it doesn't throw you to the ground or floor, it's termed a 'foot massage'. Maybe a slight exaggeration... ;-)

:-)

Jim

There are constant very small quakes here too. Same thing, lots of small faults. The USGS publishes a chart with relatively small quakes on it so one can see what's going on. The mailing list I'm on lists only quakes above a certain size, I think its 4.5 for US quakes and larger for those in other parts of the world. Anyone who thinks terra firma is really firma is fooling themselves. The problem with the large fault lines is that no one is sure of how much stress needs to build up before they move or what the real statistics are since quakes can be very far apart in time and records do not go back very far by geological standards. Some quake records are in the form of fossilized trees and in magnetic evidence in rock formations. Those can give a hint of enormous quakes in the very distant past. The strength of materials of the earth's crust limits the amount of stress that can build up before something gives way but even so a quake of nearly 10 can occur and they have. While Los Angeles is not on the San Andreas fault we are not too distant and another quake like the 1906 one would be very strong here. There was an even stronger quake around 1850, I think, can't remember the exact date and don't want to look it up now. No big quake since 1906. If the statistics are right there should be one about every fifty years. However, the statistics, as I indicated above may be all screwed up because we don't really have a long enough record. So, here we are with out civiilized society living in the midst of earthquakes, floods, brush and forrest fires, landslides, serious storms and the sea conditions they produce, extreme heat, even tornadoes, which, while rare, do occur here. The Franciscan Fathers have a lot to answer for.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA