[rollei_list] Re: OT: Vinyl and CD's

  • From: Robert Lilley <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 07:57:03 -0500

Well said Thor!

What we need is another Arts and Crafts movement. We may well get it due to the current economic trend.

Wouldn't it be neat to have your toaster fixed rather than buying a new one! My grandmother lived in an era when things were bought only once. I remember as a boy being told things like "when your grandfather and I set up housekeeping, we purchased that lamp in 1923. We gave* $4.57 for it." There it was in the 1960's on the same table it had been for 50 years.

*My grandparents came from farming to the big city and never "paid" but rather "gave" - must have been a hold over from bartering.

Rob

On Mar 4, 2009, at 3:42 AM, Thor Legvold wrote:
Snip

Also, whereas things in many cases used to be designed to do more than claimed (i.e. overengineered), and could be repaired, upgraded, and lasted, today most things are designed to last as long as the warantee. The bar has sunk from satisfying the more demanding among us, to being 'good enough' for the average (or even under average) user. (Almost) no one needs or wants 'best' anymore, they want 'good enough'. A corollary is that as people grow up with lesser quality, they expect less and never know how good quality could be.

Snip

Cheers,
Thor