[rollei_list] OT: The State of US Trade

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 23:53:18 -0500

At 04:12 PM 12/20/2008, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>     Frankly, I would rather pay more and keep Americans
>working.

Richard

Spoken like a loyal Union guy. It is a fascinating thought, but, frankly, unreasonable. 99.999901% of the USian populace would rather buy cheap than buy American. Now, to keep business in the US, here are some ideas:

a) massive tariffs on imports. The last time we tried that, in the 1920's, the US was accused of creating the Great Depression which locked Stalin into power in the Soviet Union and which led to the rise to power of Adolph Hitler. I'm not certain that we want to go there.

b) insisting on real free trade. Japan is the worst example of a nation which has successfully resisted US import efforts. Clinton tried to fight this and was howled down universally, with even his own senior Democratic Party Congressional leaders arguing against this, along with the head of the AFL-CIO. This is the way to go. But, thanks to John F Kennedy, he of sainted memry, the international trade channels are controlled by nations which are very anti-US, so appealing for resolution there wlll lead to the US losing a lot of cases.

c)  there is no c

Me? I'm an isolationist contrarian who wishes the US would simply quit supporting most of the failing nations in the world. But I am not in charge: we have another month of a lackluster leftist, George W Bush, and then a succession to a very radical Barak Obama. I can only pray for the Great Republic. Times do not look good for this nation. My prediction is that the Democratic Party will implode as it did in the late 1970's and that we will have Carter, Version 2: Nancy Pelosi, she of the private jet, and Harry Reid will invest most of their energy fighting with Obama and the result will be chaos.

I pray that I am wrong but I do not believe that I am. Just so you know: you heard it hear first, on the Q.T. and very Hush-Hush, to steal a line from a magnificent movie which resurrected a difficult and failed book.

But, in the end, sure, I will pay a buck extra on a ten-dollar item to buy American. But I am the exception. And I will continue to buy Canadian Kippered Herring, as the US just does not produce these.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!