[rollei_list] Re: OT St Patricks day

  • From: Jon <jon.stanton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 19:55:41 -0700

Next you will be telling me "Danny Boy" was composed by a Brit! <g>

Sent from Olywa

On Mar 16, 2010, at 7:34 PM, Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

At 07:07 PM 3/16/2010, Laurence Cuffe wrote:

>Tomorrow will be St Patrick's day, and I wish all of you the better
>of it.
>We might on the occasion remember a Fr Luke Wadding, born in
>Waterford, 16th October 1588, without whom we might not have the
>occasion for celebrating. Fr Luke Wadding was in Rome setting up the
>Irish College, San Isadore's, when he got involved in the reform of
>the liturgical calendar and ended up pushing for St patrick to be
>included as a full card carrying member of the sainthood. It is
>thanks to him that St Patricks day was promoted and celebrated and
>remains an occasion for remembering what it means to be Irish.
>He was also involved in getting the Irish brigades back to Ireland
>for the war of 1641 fighting for the confederacy.
>Have a happy St Patricks day folks,
>all the best,

Most interesting, Lawrence!

The Church of England and Church of Ireland both included St Patrick on their liturgical calendars from at least 800 AD. Perhaps the Roman Catholics took him off after the Reformation? He is included, for instance, in the 1562 Prayer Book of Elizabeth I.

St Patrick was applauded by the Protestants as a "British" saint.

Have a grand day, for the all of it!

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!