[rollei_list] Re: OT: Re: Figital

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 16:04:09 -0700

I guess folks around here are lucky in that our local photo shop (KSP) will process and archive 135, APS, 120, & 200 film. You can get 'Super TIFF' files, for 35mm are 18mb ea, and for 6x6 are somewhere near 30mb. Not cheap, but they are good quality and with a little Lightroom processing, will make super large prints. I used this years ago before getting my own scanner. Here are KSP's services:

http://www.kspphoto.com/media/lab_page/lab_srv-web/color_proc.pdf

Jim

On Sep 26, 2009, at 3:41 PM, Elias Roustom wrote:

Target is my local source for that sort of thing - you get a 4x6 @ 240ppi +/- (960x1440) which I believe is a 1.3 Mpx file, which is good enough for a very good 4x6 print from a very good ink jet - I know, I've done it. The CD alone is good enough for proofing. At target they'll process a role of film for $1, and then scan it and put on CD for $4. You can look at what you've got, scan the ones you want for printing yourself (it's always better), or take the negs into your darkroom and do it for real. It's really not that silly of a compromise...

How they make any money doing it is another question, and I'm sure that's where the silliness comes in.

E.

On Sep 26, 2009, at 4:44 PM, J M N wrote:

Sure, your right-- no high rez at all.
But if you read the hype on the Figital web pages they talk as if the sun rises and sets on the CDs COSTCO provides.