[rollei_list] Re: OT: Memorial Day

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 13:38:42 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc James Small" <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2010 10:03 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] OT: Memorial Day

   For once we completely agree.
When I was in grammar school we still made paper poppies for Armistice day. I think we were actually told what it was about. I was born just before WW-2 so the memory of war was still close at hand even though it was a later war. Of course, in a real way WW-2 was an extension of the "War to end all war", maybe a modern Thirty Year War. It is particularly galling to me that soldiers are blamed for the wars they must fight in. It is seldom, if ever, that the soldiers have anything to do with it: its always a failure of someone's politicians in one way or another. Veteran's Day and Memorial Day should really be solemn days dedicated to the memory of those who have fallen in action as a reminder that only vigilance by the citizens can prevent future wars. Sometimes we MUST fight but all too often in the past wars have been avoidable.

BP= Busted Promises

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA