[rollei_list] Re: OT: Health

  • From: jon.stanton@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: rollei list <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 05:27:47 +0000 (UTC)

Happy Birthday Marc!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc James Small" <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "rollei list" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2012 8:47:17 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] OT: Health

I am 62 and enjoy generally great health -- good
blood pressure, good cholesterol, good vital
signs for the most part, so my diet is still
heavy on raw beef and Eggs Benedict and Fried
Archosaur and the like. I do have cirrhosis,
hardly surprising, but my case seems to be very
minor, so I simply limit myself to one Beverage
of Choice a day and have none at all on some
days. All in all, life is good for this 62-year-old relic of the past.

I do like salmon about any way it can be
prepared. Salmon with dill sauce is a grand
feed. And I have been eating, for more than a
half-century, bagels with cream cheese, capers,
onions, hard-boiled egg, and salmon. I do like
lox (salt-cured salmon) but that is now hard to
find, so I generally use smoked salmon. When I
was a teen-ager, I cadged invites to my friends'
Bar Mitzvahs because of the Jewish food. It is
now getting a bit hard to find, though the Fort
Lee Commissary does a fair job of stocking canned
and bottled stuff for the Israeli students we
train there. (And, yes, I once saw a Saudi
officer picking up a bottle of gefilte fish and
asked him what they would have thought of his
doing so back home, and he just laughed -- it
seems the Arabs have a very similar dish.)

Kielbasa and sauerkraut. Russian pirogies (the
Poles make theirs with potato fillings and the
like, while the Russians tend towards beef or
pork fillings). Smearcase (Cottage Cheese to you
Luddites), Philly Steak hoagies. Lebanon
baloney. Liverwurst. Hell, any of the German
wursts are worthy of at least a try, as are their
country hams -- there are a couple of firms in
Wisconsin who produce such goodies though I can
only find them at the Fort Lee Commissary, which
stocks them for the German War
Brides. Chesapeake Bay oysters on the half-shell
(spare me those mushy Gulf oysters!). Picking
steamed crabs in the summer. Lobster.

Marvin Lender, the surviving son of Harry Lender,
the man who made frozen bagels available to
Fly-Over America, died several days back after
taking a tumble. The family had sold the firm decades ago.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!