[rollei_list] OT: Health

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 23:47:17 -0400

I am 62 and enjoy generally great health -- good blood pressure, good cholesterol, good vital signs for the most part, so my diet is still heavy on raw beef and Eggs Benedict and Fried Archosaur and the like. I do have cirrhosis, hardly surprising, but my case seems to be very minor, so I simply limit myself to one Beverage of Choice a day and have none at all on some days. All in all, life is good for this 62-year-old relic of the past.

I do like salmon about any way it can be prepared. Salmon with dill sauce is a grand feed. And I have been eating, for more than a half-century, bagels with cream cheese, capers, onions, hard-boiled egg, and salmon. I do like lox (salt-cured salmon) but that is now hard to find, so I generally use smoked salmon. When I was a teen-ager, I cadged invites to my friends' Bar Mitzvahs because of the Jewish food. It is now getting a bit hard to find, though the Fort Lee Commissary does a fair job of stocking canned and bottled stuff for the Israeli students we train there. (And, yes, I once saw a Saudi officer picking up a bottle of gefilte fish and asked him what they would have thought of his doing so back home, and he just laughed -- it seems the Arabs have a very similar dish.)

Kielbasa and sauerkraut. Russian pirogies (the Poles make theirs with potato fillings and the like, while the Russians tend towards beef or pork fillings). Smearcase (Cottage Cheese to you Luddites), Philly Steak hoagies. Lebanon baloney. Liverwurst. Hell, any of the German wursts are worthy of at least a try, as are their country hams -- there are a couple of firms in Wisconsin who produce such goodies though I can only find them at the Fort Lee Commissary, which stocks them for the German War Brides. Chesapeake Bay oysters on the half-shell (spare me those mushy Gulf oysters!). Picking steamed crabs in the summer. Lobster.

Marvin Lender, the surviving son of Harry Lender, the man who made frozen bagels available to Fly-Over America, died several days back after taking a tumble. The family had sold the firm decades ago.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!