[rollei_list] Re: OT - Hard or soft water?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:28:54 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Lilley" <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:22 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] OT - Hard or soft water?

I am building my dream darkroom and have recently purchased a 16x20 inch archival 'Cross Jet' print washer. We have well water which is rather hard. As such, years ago I installed a salt based water softener which supplies
the whole house with soft water.

We've a young man staying with us this summer who is studying photographic conservation up at Queens University in Canada. He tells me I should use hard water through the print washer. He maintains it will clear the fixer better and alkaline water is not good for paper fiber. We drink bottled water so of this has never been a human issue. What say you all? Is this
true, I have some more plumbing work to do, sigh!

Rob in NJ

Salts in water do increase washing efficiency. The most effective washing is with sea water but the residue must be washed out with fresh water. Sulfite wash aids were developed to mimic sea water and are actually more efficient. I have never heard that alkaline water is bad for paper, maybe so but I would like a citation to some research. Tap water in Los Angeles tends to be rather hard, i.e., high content of carbonates but measures slightly acid. I am not at all sure of my measurements because pH measurements can be tricky. I get an assay about twice a year from the L.A.Department of Water and Power. There was considerable concern about the quality of L.A. water some years ago so the DWP had been bending over backward to assure everyone of its quality.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx