[rollei_list] O.T. Feynman Letter

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 21:25:23 -0500

Got a lot of requests for it, but I have some second thoughts about sending it out.

Here's the reason, and maybe some attorneys in the group can help me.

The book is copyrighted, of course, and has the usual notice, "No portion of this book may be reproduced by any method . . . .."

It also has the usual notice "Except for brief excerpts used for critical reviews, etc. . . . ."*

I do know that for a book I am working on I want to include 2 paragraphs from a booklet first published in 1944, and updated and republished several times since then. After working through the path of copyright control I got a release and a request for a payment of $14 to include those two paragraphs in my book.

In the case of the Feynman letter, my notion is that I can use this second notice*, an exception to the blanket coverage as justification for sending out that one page, but I am not sure. Any thoughts on that from folks who know?

As I have mentioned to several folks, I think that Photography is based on physics and it is perfectly correct to send out a non-technical letter that tells more than one would ever know about the emotional thoughts of this famous man.

DAW