[rollei_list] OT Democracy (was OT Artistic Voices (was Re: OT Mapplethorpe))

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 22:05:57 -0500

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 9:31 PM, Marc James Small
<marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: (snipped)

> First, the folks who founded this nation insisted on not subscribing to
> majority rule.  Learn the history of the nation.  We are a
> representative republic, an entirely different thing. We protect minority
> rights.  We are not the sort of craziness as the Athens of 420 > BC.

Marc, I'll leave you alone and let the other list members keep picking
on the carcass of your arguments, but this statement needs to go down
in history. Yes, there are some protections for minority rights, many
of them adopted AFTER the fathers were long gone, and yes Madison and
others incorporated the elements of a representative democracy into
our constitution (as opposed to a direct democracy, which would have
been functionally unsustainable), but to say that the Founding Fathers
did not believe in majority rule is about the biggest craziness I have
ever heard. It is THE fundamental guiding principle of our
democracy...

Eric Goldstein