[rollei_list] Re: New, TTL Flash for Rollei FX

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 09:19:54 -0500

Bill,

I was in the same situation when I owned a Rolleiflex SL66 SE. According to my 2005 Metz Program brochure you need the Rollei (Metz) SCA 356 adapter and a Metz modular SCA flash like the 54 MZ-4. The SCA 3562 adapter will only work with the Rollei 6008 AF.

f you don't want to work with different flash systems for your Nikon and Pentax you could then adapt the 54 MZ-4 to those camera with the appropriate adapters. This was my plan with the SL66SE and Canon cameras I used.

Right now I only use the SL66 with older (non-SCA) Metz flashes. I will definitely go the Metz route if I find another SL66SE or a GX. I prefer the Metz design over the Canon 580 EXII Speedlite I (rarely) use right now.

A basic non-TTL flash, like my Metz 34 BCT 2, should also work non- TTL with your FX.

Jan

From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
2012/1/8 william schillereff <pastorbill6@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
I need some help if I may. The instruction book for the FX recommends on line of flashes which will work with the TTL metering system of the FX, the SCA #%^ adaptor and a line of Metz Flashes The SCA 300 system. I have
a Vivitar 283 which works well as an auto strobe but not with the TTL
function. I have the Nikon 800 SB for my Nikon DSLR. While the Rollei FX will not file the 283 from the flash hotshot it will fire the SB 800 from the shoe. The shoe and the pins on the SB 800 are similar in that they have a grouping of three connectors, yet the SB 800 has a total of four.
The only way your FX  will work fine with the TTL metering option is
with the Rollei 356 adapter and a SCA 300 flash system, the number of
pins is not significant for the purpose if flash and camera internal
computers are not compatible.
My dedicated Pentax flash works 100% integrated with my Pentax camera
flash program, it also works fine as Auto flash for other cameras
(f.e. my Rollei 35 and SL35M), the hot shoe central contact and the
flash central pin are enough to fire the flash beyond the number of
pins, I lose some functions as camera automatic shutter speed and f
stop settings but it works, however every flash is different and the
only way to know for sure is trying the flash with the camera (anyway
be careful with the flash trigger voltage).
I find strange your FX  hot shoe does not fire the Vivitar 283, in
general the contact between the hot shoe central contact and the flash
central pin fires the flash, anyway you need to be sure about your 283
trigger voltage, older units have very high trigger voltage that could
fry your camera electronics, I use my 283 with cameras without
electronics for the flash, I'll try it on the Pentax after to measure
the voltage with a tester.
When I use the SB 800 results are sporadic as demonstrated by negative density. My questions are how does one know if another system such as the SB 800 will work with the FX. Is or has something been been written? Second: I can find the SCA Adaptor for Rollei on Ebay for $$$ but I have no idea exactly witch Metz Flashes will work with the recommended adaptor.
 Are there others witch will work with  FX as fully TTL?
As I wrote above, the only way to work with your camera TTL metering
is via the Rollei 356 SCA adapter.f.e. If you look for Metz, Cullman,
Osram SCA 300 flashes among others, you'll find results. The newer SCA
3000 flashes seem to be compatible with the SCA 300 system, it must be
checked.
Any help will be good and appreciated.
Bill