[rollei_list] Re: Neopan 400 in Ultrafin

  • From: Georges Giralt <georges.giralt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 05:47:48 +0200

Hello Jan,
It is hard to tell from the image on the computer, but to me the pattern has a milky appearence whuch sugest improper fixing (to short a time or exhausted fixer). It will cause no harm to refix a couple of images to prove me right or wrong. I've developed films (mostly Tmax 400 ) which has been Xrayed many times in airports and which is out of date without any ill effects.
So try to re-fix the film and see what it gives.
Have a bright day !
Le 19/08/2014 21:48, Jan Decher a écrit :
Thanks Everyone for your suggestions. Well, its NOT my trusty Rolleiflex 3.5E causing the pattern, I think, because I just got back a Portra 160 today , which I loaded after the last spoiled Neopan picture in Leiden, NL. The Portra looks perfect !

The airport x-ray suggestion sound plausible to me. This Neopan may have been x-rayed at least once or twice during the move here to Germany in 2012 and maybe also last fall during a flight to Italy. I am no longer using the lead bags after someone told me the x-ray people just crank up the dosage if they see a "big unpenetrable blob" in the picture (??). So this, and the film being relatively old & expired could be the problem. To narrow the problem I should probably shoot a roll of brand new TriX and process with same chemicals i the same Kindermann tank and see if things are okay.

'Hope to scan some of the Portra negs this week for you to see.

Cheers,
Jan
Bonn

P.S.: What's your thoughts on the best 400 ASA (120) film to replace my beloved Neopan 400? Ilford HP5, TriX?? I don't like very contrasty negs in my b&w shots.

From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>>

Hi Laurence:
                   A five leaves shutter with an oil drop affecting
two or three or four or five leaves could cause some strange effects
on the exposure. Anyway, the emulsion does not look good indeed,
perhaps you are right.
ISO 400 films are more sensitive to X rays than ISO 50 or ISO 100.
films. I lost the first three frames during a travel to Brazil in the
'90s due to X rays in the airport, I did not know at the time about
the way X rays affected the films in the airports ; it was an ISO 400
film and the X rays fogged the three first usable frames, X rays are
widely used today, including land freight transport.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
                Abraham Maslow
A British variant :
Any tool can serve as a hammer but a screwdriver makes the best chisel.