[rollei_list] Re: Neopan 400 in Ultrafin

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 21:30:54 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Carlos,
I can easily see bands forming from a failing focal plane shutter, however looking
at the pattern on the cows picture the only way I can see it happening from a faulty
leaf shutter is if there was a pinhole from the centre of the focal plane shutter
closing improperly, it might result in another image being placed on the film while
the camera was resting. The "X shaped pattern which I see as a filled X and a
Chevron of stray light on the film rather than increased exposure seems to be out of
focus, and so I would be inclined to blame it on something which happened to the
film out of the camera.
All the best
Laurence Cuffe
Sent from QCloud

On Aug 18, 2014, at 09:35 PM, CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

       > Wavy streaks??? I see a very distinct geometric pattern, roughly
equivalent
       > to. . . x‹ . I wouldn't expect something like that to result from
chemical
       > or mechanical anomalies during processing. It seems to my mind to be
more
       > indicative of some sort of irregularity during exposure, or possibly
even a
       > "pre-fogging" of some sort during manufacturing.

Jan:
I tend to agree with Chris through my own experience. I had a
similar situation with the Rollei SL66 due to uneven shutter working
during the exposure and it was the main reason I sent it for CLA last
year. Some shots started to show bands of different density and the
number of shots showing the problem were increasing, the pattern were
bands because we are talking about a focal plane shutter; the TLR has
a leaf central shutter and it could be the cause for the distinct
pattern, it could have to do with the shutter speed too. It looks like
the shutter leaves don't open and don't close using the same speed.
This is an opinion based on my experience, as I wrote above, but I
could be wrong for your case, I don't know.

Carlos
PS: Nice shots BTW.