[rollei_list] Re: "NIH Syndrome" (was: Liquid Lenses)

  • From: Bob Shell <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:12:19 -0500

On Saturday, January 22, 2005, at 12:08  PM, Peter Kotsinadelis wrote:

> You are correct, I worked for SONY for a short while, the Japanese
> companies are closed to ideas unless they originate inside Japan.
> Those in the US likened it to a Glacier whose movement once started in
> a particular direction was impossible to stop. They also believe,
> unlike North American companies, that while you can compete with
> companies, you can also supply them parts as it is good business.
> Case in point, Mitsubishi TV Picture Tubes are all made by SONY
> (different mask), Kodak video tape, batteries, Dell Laptops (at least
> in the late 90s), and many other items you take for granted are really
> made by SONY.

Sony is not averse to bribing journalists, either.  It came out several
years ago that they had paid Andy Pargh "The Gadget Guru" $ 80,000 to
write a little pamphlet for them.  The kind of job they would have paid
someone like me maybe a grand to do.  Sony products were prominently
featured in Andy's Today Show TV spots and magazine articles for quite
some time after that.  Unfortunately for Sony, their investment in Andy
took a nose dive when he was summarily booted off the air following a
scandal in S. Florida.

Bob