[rollei_list] Re: My Personal Future

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 18:39:20 -0500

At 05:53 PM 3/25/06 -0500, Dan Kalish wrote:
>AFAIK, Marc is not leaving the legal profession.  He will maintain his
>membership in the Virginia bar.  Risht, Marc?  You can continue to make fun
>of lawyers.  I'm not practicing law, but I, too, am a lawyer..

Good heavens!  My final court appearance is currently scheduled for 4 MAY.
It is my intention to leave the Poff Federal Building, walk to the downtown
Post Office, mail my license back to the State Bar, and then to go to the
house to meet the movers.

I have escaped this stew of confusion and despair and have not the
slightest interest in continuing as a lawyer.  I am making a grand tour
now, visiting various courtrooms and bidding clerks, judges, and
prosecutors fairwell, and doing so most willingly.

Whatever I do in Richmond, it will NOT be in the legal community!  I am
fortunate in that selling off my Roanoke assets and my final set of rather
hefty bills which fortuitously come due late this spring -- some from
criminal defense work, some from DOT condemnation work, and some from
miscellaneous services -- will give me a gap of four or five months to
figure out what I will be doing next.  I only have to fill some 44 moinths
or so until my Army Reserve retirement kicks in.

Life has many opportunities.  I am looking forward to living in a house
where I can have all of my books together in one place and where I can set
up a darkroom again.  The rest will fall into place in due course.

We might be buying a house in Chester, Virginia.  Chester is the site for
the North American branch of Zeiss Sports Optics.  So, at least, I will
only have to travel a mile or so to have my binoculars repaired!

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!

NEW FAX NUMBER:  +540-343-8505