[rollei_list] Re: MARC Re: OT "the price of gasoline"

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 20:22:28 -0400

At 10:28 PM 4/21/05 +0000, jon.stanton@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>Just a thought....Maybe Ruben should define "Liberal" government. The
European (Classical) definition is almost directly opposite of the U.S.
definition. Hayek's "Road to Serfdom" is a good source.

This is a grand point but not totally accurate:  most US "philosophical
conservatives" adopt the term "libertarian" as a connection to the=
 tradition.

The problem arose when the British and European Liberals became so
enamoured of expanding the franchise that they forgot their dedication to
personal liberty.  That left the traditional Right, who had long advocated
a dedication to personal liberty but were also committed to a limited
franchise, in control of the personal liberty thing, and they have owned it
since 1875 in Europe and the US.

You want a Big Government allowing Social Workers into your home to check
your plumbing, vote Democrat.

You want a Big Government allowing Pastors into your home to check your
reading materail, vote Republican.

You want a Small Government allowing one-half Social Workers into your home
to see if your reading material encourages terrorist activity, vote
Libertarian.

You want folks to leave you alone, move to the Moon.  Damn!  That is MY
place, and you all leave it alone!  I've got to get busy and make millions
so that I can build Luna City with my private Pleasure Dome, Xanadu, off on
the horizon ....

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx=20
Cha robh b=E0s fir gun ghr=E0s fir!