[rollei_list] Re: Lens coatings and veiling flare.

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 16:22:58 -0400

On 7/9/2009 4:06 PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:
While Marc beleives that Smakula, of Zeiss, invented hard coating I am not so sure. Zeiss may have had this technology but the record seems to show it was developed by a reseach group in the US during WW-2. Vacuum coatings can be relatively soft and the early ones were. What was developed here was the technique of baking the coatings in vacuo. Previously the coated lenses were removed from the vacuum chamber and baked in a separate operation. Baking in the coating chamber results in coatings nearly as hard as the glass.

Richard

That is precisely the Smakula process. I can give you a cite to the German technical journal where it was published in 1940, though I cannot at present locate my photostat of the article. The New York Public Library has a copy of the journal containing the article.

The Wollensak vacuum-coating process also produced hard coatings. The coatings on their AA rangefinders routinely survived Fort Bliss dust storms by late 1943, though the earlier versions as used during TORCH in 1942 were more vulnerable. I am not certain of the vacuum coatings used by Ross in the UK and shared with Barr & Stroud for their military optics, but, by 1945, these were certainly hard-coated. Whether that was derived from US research or was independently developed, I know not. As Ross and B&S are both now out of business, this might be hard to run down, as I am not certain whether the corporate records of either survived.

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!