[rollei_list] Re: Lens coatings and veiling flare.

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 18:20:57 -0400

Interesting comments, Peter.  Some of flare control inherent in design
is the number of air to glass surfaces, and also the design and
construction of the lens mount. Faster lenses are more prone to flare
than slower ones. Before coatings were around, these factors were
front and center for lens designers.

But it would be interesting to hear from Richard or other
knowledgeable parties as to whether new single coating technology is
superior to the single coating methods of the 50s... you'd think it
would be and there would be some improvement after 50+ years...

Eric Goldstein