[rollei_list] Lens Designs and the Soviet World

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 23:55:52 -0400

At 11:30 PM 10/7/2009, Eric Goldstein wrote:
>Marc -
>
>If it is truly identical, and not licensed, it would be illegal if the
>patent was still active. You cannot tell from block diagrams; you need
>prescriptions, glass types, engineering specifications.

Eric

There is much you seem not to know about the relations between the former Warsaw Pact and the West in terms of patent protections. It is probably best not to try to teach your grandmother how to such eggs ...

First, the Soviets had open rights to use any German intellectual properties as of 9 MAY 1945, and could use any Warsaw Pact intellectual properties thereafter. No one in the West challenged this. The US, UK, French, &c, had the same rights to German intellectual properties as of 8 MAY 1945. No, Leitz never sued Reid or Kardon for their copies of the Leica cameras, as such lawsuits would have been tossed out. And a Jupiter-8 lens, a copy of the 2/5cm CZJ Sonnar, was fully protected under the same condition.

Second, the arguments were essentially between Pentacon and Carl Zeiss and did not involve the USSR in any way for such items. The thought of Carl Zeiss licensing, say, the Arsenal Works to produce a Planar design during the life of the USSR is absurd -- the Soviets claimed that this was not necessary, and the US told Zeiss to sit on it as we had larger fish to fry. Once the USSR became the "bweela SSSR", things changed, and Zeiss has all sorts of agreements with former Warsaw-Pact and CIS factories.

Third, the USSR cheerfully just stole Western designs as they needed them and produced them to meet their own needs. I doubt that even the 2gen Night-Vision devices could have survived a challenge by ITT Night Vision Labs, but these were not imported into the US until ITT was invested in 3gen and specifically surrendered their rights under the 2gen patents. The night vision devices you now find in hunting supply stores are all "2 1/2 gen" devices from Russia or the Ukraine as the 3gen and later gear is not available to the public but only to the military and to law enforcement, with a few limited exceptions. (And the US-made gear is vastly more expensive: KMZ can make a profit selling 2 1/2 gen gear for $400, while ITT hawks their basic sets at $12,000 or so.)

Fourth, I have far more than lens diagrams and do have the optical glass designations (Schott catalogue) for many of these, but Carl Zeiss has never released any of the glass data on lenses when they could avoid it, and most of what I have from Oberkochen are taken from supporting documents used when Zeiss applied for a government contract. For instance, Zeiss Ikon supplied Contarex cameras and lens sets to NASA, as Hasselblad did later. Some of these were purchased under "sole source of supply" contracts, where technical details can be suppressed, but most were in open bids, and so the details can be found for some of these. But trying to find the details of, say, the 2.8/80 Planar used in the Rolleiflex 2.8C and later is quite difficult as F&H refused to put these up to public bid, there only major bid being with the T's sold to the Royal Navy and these were purchased under a truncated contract which only listed the results of lens testing and not the composition of the lenses. (Trust me: we spend a lot of time over on the Zeiss Ikon Collectors' Group dealing with the "recomputed" Tessar and would love to have the optical glass characteristics.)

What a lens diagram does admirably is to exclude, and not to include. As a result, we know that the 2.8/8cm Biotar T used in the 2.8B is not identical to the Planar used in the 2.8C nor to the JSK Xenotar, though it resembles the Xenotar more than it does the Planar. Thus, we know from the lens diagrams that we have three separate designs at play, related designs, perhaps, but not identical.

But, again, I have a lot more information if I can find that circular tuit and dig out the bottom boxes in my bay of the garage.

And I am lazy. I still owe Peter K the scan of that article on the Leica M3 which was still operable after falling a thousand feet or whatever, and I do know where that is. Retirement is great ....

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!